HB 144

What is HB 144?

In 2002, the Utah legislature passed House Bill 144 (HB-144). This legislation allows qualifying undocumented immigrant students to pay in-state tuition at a Utah college or university. These students DO NOT qualify for official residency for tuition purposes, but they can qualify for the tuition waiver. The Board of Regents made an exception for certain students if they come with the affidavit that states they attended a Utah high school for three years, graduated with a diploma or GED, and that they promise to file an application to legalize their immigration status as soon as they are eligible to do so.

How Do I Qualify for HB 144?
To qualify for the HB 144 tuition waiver a student must meet the requirements listed below:
1. They must be admitted as a student to Utah Valley University.
2. They must have attended high school in the state of Utah for three or more years.
3. They must have graduated from a Utah high school or the equivalent of a high school diploma prior to the start of the term (for example passed the GED).
4. They cannot have registered for college classes prior to the Fall of the 2002-2003 academic school year.
5. They cannot hold a non-immigrant visa.
6. They must have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or be willing to file an application when they become eligible.

How Do I Apply for HB 144?
To apply for HB 144, complete the online Admission Application. Once you are admitted as a student to the University, complete the HB 144 Affidavit (pdf) and return it to Office of Admissions - Browning Administration Building (Room BA-115). Make sure you also submit your official high school transcript with a graduation date on it.

You can also email the completed form to admissions@uvu.edu or fax to - 801.863.8913
Please note: If you have attended multiple institutions in the State of Utah, you must fill out a HB 144 affidavit at each institution you attend.