An F-1 student is a non immigrant who is pursuing a "full course of study" to achieve a specific educational or professional objective, at an academic institution in the United States that has been designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to offer courses of study to such students, and has been enrolled in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). Once the educational or professional objectives have been attained, the F-1 student is expected by the U.S. government to return to his or her residence abroad.


  • Maintenance of Status
  • Institution Record Keeping Requirements
  • Extension of Program
  • Transfer to a New Educational Program (ESL-AS/BS)
  • Deviation from a Full-Course-of-Study Requirement
  • How to Replace a Lost I-20
  • Visa & Work Authorization
  • On-Campus Work Permit
  • Curricular Practical Training
  • Optional Practice Training
  • Off-Campus Work Permit (Economic Necessity)
  • Reinstatement to Student Status
  • Transfer of School
  • Re-entry into the U.S. after a Temporary Absence
  • International Student Marrying a U.S. Citizen
  • Change of F-1 or F-2 Visa Status